23.4.12

Quinoa Mac & Cheese (gluten and dairy free!)

This is the perfect dish for this 
"late spring blizzard" weather 
the forecast was calling for...
"late spring blizzard"...
what does that even mean!?!!
haha

I got this recipe from 
Gluten Free Vegan Comfort Food
I have made it with rice noodles and it was just as yum!
I thought I would try it with quinoa and see what happens
I also added franks red hot thick
my new obsession

preheat oven to 350

now, because this is a sauce that thickens very fast
best to have everything ready to go
measure out separately:

2 cups of milk (i used So Delicious coconut milk, however, use what you want, as long as its not chocolate or vanilla! or use reg milk..)
1 tablespoon arrowroot flour/powder (instead of reg flour. its a gluten free thickener!)
3 cups of dairy free cheese (I use Daiya, I prefer the motz over the cheddar. dont worry about measuring it, 1 bag is enough... or use regular cheese..I'm not the dairy police, I just cant have it!!)



start your quinoa
bring 2 1/2 cups salted water to boil
rinse 1 1/2 cups quinoa thru a strainer
add to boiling water, bring back to a boil
turn down to med low, time for 10 min
then add 1 cup of broccoli florets
I cut them quite small including the stems
cover and let stand for 5-8 min
or until ALL water is absorbed

chop a small shallot or onion
add to a hot large fry pan with olive oil
cook for 3 min on medium heat
get your whisk ready!!
add arrowroot powder
and wisk around with onions and oil
as soon as it disappears add 1 CUP coconut milk
continue whisking until it starts to thicken (be patient, takes maybe 1-2 min)
then immediately add the rest of the coconut milk
continue whisking til mixed up
then eyeball 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (i like grainy kind)
and 1/4 teaspoon of cumin (optional, but REALLY tastes GREAT!!)
mix and continue to cook for 2-3 min
turn heat to low
add Daiya
whisk whisk whisk until it all melts (i dunno, like 5 min maybe?)
then I added about 1 tablespoon of Franks here
as well as 1/2 cup frozen peas

add quinoa broccoli mix to cheese mix
stir to combine (spatula!)
then pour into a greased (olive oil on paper towel) baking dish
top with bread crumbs and bake for 30 min

leftovers (if you can stop yourself) store nicely
airtight container for 3 days in fridge.
doesnt freeze well.. learned that lesson

enjoy!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment